Wimba and PC Java Issues
Java 7 has security issues and Internet browsers are warning against using. However, Wimba requires Java, you will not be able to access the features of Wimba without the Java plug-in. Because of the Java 7 vulnerability and security issues – do not use Version 7, use Java 6 Version 38 until a fix is available from Oracle (Java)
If you encounter Wimba issues - DO THIS FIRST!
- If you are using Firefox, try using another browser Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari (Firefox will not allow Java to load)
- Run the Wimba Setup Wizard, if you cannot complete successfully and the issue is the Java test then continue with instructions below
How do I know what version of Java I have?
- Windows 7 -- Start; Control Panel
- Look for and double-cick the Java program icon
- On the General tab - click About, the next screen will show the version that is installed
- If version 7 is installed, close the Java Control Panel (will use steps below to download Version 6.38)
How do I disable Version 7 and use (download/install) Version 6.38
- Download Java 6 and disable Version 7: from a browser go to the following URL: http://tinyurl.com/Java6V38Dwnld
- Click the radio button to Accept License Agreement then
- Scroll down to the download for Windows x86 Offline and click the download (file size is 16.2MB); Install
How do I use Java Version 38 once installed?
- Go back to Windows Java Control Panel (Start, Control Panel, Java icon)
- On the Java tab, click View, you should now see both versions (Java 1.7 and Java 1.6) installed
- Disable Version 7 by removing the check mark in the Enable box (note: Version 1.6 should still have a check mark in the Enable box)
- Click OK
Can I now use Firefox?
Firefox will not allow JAVA Version 38 and to run. Make sure you run the Wimba Wizard BEFORE entering the room!
- Open either Chrome, Internet Explorer or Safari and access Blackboard, Wimba and click on the room title (or archive title)
- RUN Setup Wizard: you should be prompted to allow (Run) the application (Java)
- Click RUN, continue through the Wizard until completed - now access the room (or archive)
Wimba and MAC OS X (Lion) Java Incompatibility Issues
Mac OS X (Lion) does not come with Java WebStart (JWS) pre-installed. When users encounter an application requiring Java if issues occur the below link has the download information for the release that installs Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_26 since OS X Lion does not provide a Java runtime by default (see Java info link Java for OSX LIon)
Running Wimba on Mac OS X Lion (10.7)
Some Mac users running Mac OS X Lion have reported that Wimba does not start. This is usually caused by a change the way 'Java' is installed in the new OS.
Here are some steps that might help resolve this issue:
- Update your Mac using Software Update (Apple menu Software Update...)
- From the Dock, click Applications > Utilities > Java Preferences, the Java Preferences window will display
- Click the check box that reads: "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" (This option needs to be enabled)
- Close this window using the red X in the upper left
- Reboot your Mac
- Attempt to open Wimba again being sure to run the setup wizard first.