The Introduction to Leadership, Research, & Ethics (previously University Seminar) program is a big part of your start at Lawrence Tech, and we’re proud of it. Here are a few questions and answers as you get ready to start!
What is Introduction to University Seminar?
Who teaches University Seminar?
Why are there two versions of University Seminar?
Do transfer students need to take this course?
Where do I sign up for University Seminar?
What if I have other questions?
A: It’s a course you take in the first semester of your freshman year. The purpose of this course is to introduce the students to the concepts of leadership as they relate to research, ethics, communication, and service in a university and professional setting. The course's learning outcomes are:
1) Develop skills to promote academic success.
- Learn the importance of academic honesty, plagiarism, and the LTU Academic Honor Code
- Introduce the writing expectations of students at LTU
- Introduce the presentation expectations of students at LTU
- Introduce students to critical thinking skills.
2) Understand and engage in collaborative and problem-based learning.
- Introduce students to Leadership and the Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Participate in group activities and peer review
- Introduce students to ethics and civil responsibility through group participation in a service project.
A: Faculty, staff, and administrators selected for their experience and interest in the course.
A: To fit different needs. Experience has proven that some students, particularly those with an Undeclared major, are better served by COM1002. The expanded version of the course has been designed to address the unique issues and choices facing these students.
A: All freshman students take this course – except that it’s optional if you:
Have taken a comparable course at another college or university, OR
Have completed 30 semester hours of work at another college or university (even if it didn’t all transfer).
A: Contact the Office of Leadership Programs 248.204.2414 or at email@example.com