Junior Year Leadership Curriculum
Course: Leadership Seminar Series
The Leadership Seminar Series provides seminars and workshops that focus on leadership development in a professional setting. The workshop series emphasizes organizational leadership and professional development and includes such topics as leadership approaches, group dynamics, ethical decision-making, goal setting, vision, networking, delegation, motivation, problem solving, conflict resolution, and diversity. A minimum of five hours of experiential learning through actual leadership experiences (e.g., both on-campus and off-campus opportunities) is also be required. These hours must be logged, properly submitted, and approved by the course instructor.
All Lawrence Tech students who begin attending in fall 2009 or later are required to enroll in the Leadership Seminar Series during their junior year.
The Leadership Seminar Series has two tracks that students can pursue, Leadership "Speaks" and Leadership LIVE.
Leadership Speaks will serve as the lecture series for the program,
drawing individuals who will provide perspectives from specific areas
of professional leadership.
- Seminar/Lecture format
- Topics will focus on specific aspects of leadership in professional settings
- Provide students with professional advice and exposure to real-life scenarios
- Open to university students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members
Leadership LIVE will serve as the workshop series for the program,
providing students with an opportunity to interact with speakers and
gain practical experience.
- Workshop/Interactive format that requires participation
- Provide students with practical tools
- Provide students with opportunities to experience professional life
- Provide students with networking opportunities
- Designed primarily for LDR 3000 student engagement
Other Campus Presentations
The seminars that students attend within their college or major can apply toward the required seminars only if it is related to leadership in their academic or professional lives. Some possible topics can include:
- Effective positional leadership
- Professional Development
- Networking and Business Relationships
- Organizational Leadership
- Leadership and current events (e.g., economy, etc)
- Effective Communication
- Research and Development in their Chosen Field
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Community Building
- Research Developments in their Field
- Ethics/professional ethics and leadership