Associate Professor, A. Leon Linton Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Director, Master of Science in Automotive Engineering
Director, Graduate Certificate in Manufacturing Systems for the Defense Industry
Engineering Building E33
Phone (248) 204-2582
Current Research Interests
Honors and Awards
Associate Professor (tenured), A. Leon Linton Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, September, 1991 - present.
Director, Master of Engineering in Manufacturing Systems, A. Leon Linton Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, August 2006 to 2011.
Director, Master of Science in Automotive Engineering, A. Leon Linton Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, June 2009 to present.
Director, Graduate Certificate in Manufacturing Systems for the Defense Industry, A. Leon Linton Department of Mechanical Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, April 2009 to present.
Assistant Department Chair, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, September, 1998 -2002.
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI, September 1987 to August 1991.
Consultant/Professor Intern, Advance Manufacturing Engineering, Chrysler LLC, Auburn Hills, MI, May 2003 to August 2008.
Senior Development Chemist/Chemical Engineer, BASF Corporation, Inmont Division, Southfield, MI, August 1985 to August 1987.
Research Assistant, Energy Development Associates (A Gulf + Western Company), Madison Heights, MI, June 1982 to September 1984.
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Detroit Chinese Engineers Association, Treasurer (1999-2006); Secretary (1998); Advisor (2007-present)
- Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
- Order of the Engineer
- Modeled/predicted the failure mode of resistance spot welded advanced high strength steels (AHSS) based on material’s tensile strength, sheet thickness & nugget size. Chrysler LLC, 2008.
- Researched microstructures of resistance spot welds in AHSS and their relationship to weld parameters and their effect on joint strength, Chrysler LLC, 2008.
- Researched the resistance spot weld characteristics of “difficult to weld” thick-thick-thin combinations involving novel advance high strength steels to compare with behavior predicted by SORPAS software. Chrysler LLC, 2008.
- Researched characteristics of weld size and weld quality in advanced high strength steels (AHSS) and TRIP (Transformation Induced Plasticity) steels to optimize welding processes. DaimlerChrysler, 2007
- Researched durability of low-voltage electric clamps. DaimlerChrysler, 2006-2007.
- Researched performance of innovative multi-stage modular vacuum cartridges to reduce air consumption costs and noise in stamping and assembly. DaimlerChrysler, 2003-2004.
- Researched potential cost-savings associated with use of an innovative multi-stage venturi-type vacuum generator in stamping press operations. DaimlerChrysler, 2004.
- Conducted in-depth stress/fatigue analysis on bolt failures in trim box transfer fork assembly in the assembly plant. DaimlerChrysler, 2004.
- Air economy study: evaluated vacuum cartridges and other air-saving devices. DaimlerChrysler, 2004.
- Analyzed and modeled the effect of conveyor chain lag and vehicle rocking on (paint) film build variability on automotive vehicles in the spray booth. DaimlerChrysler, August 2003.
- Researched the feasibility of using low-voltage electric clamps in an assembly tooling environment to reduce manufacturing costs by replacing costly air-driven (pneumatic) clamps with electric ones. DaimlerChrysler, Aug 2003.
- Researched galvanic corrosion in aluminum-intensive vehicles. Ford Motor Company, 1997.
- Researched processes for grinding and finishing aerospace turbine vanes. GINTIC Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, August 2-18, 1995.
- Researched methods of forming retaining lips on punches. GINTIC Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, September 15-27, 1996.
- Researched formulations of automotive coatings/electrocoat to improve corrosion resistance. BASF Inmont, 1985-1987.
- Developed a quick method for determination of sulfide in electrodeposited nickel to predict the performance of nickel coatings. General Motors Research Laboratories, 1979.
- Researched feasibility of using electrodialysis in rinse water recovery to reduce material loss and to encourage the recycle of recovered metals. General Motors Research Laboratories, 1983.
- Researched electrochemical instability of zinc electrodeposition in zinc-chloride flow batteries to optimize the efficiency of flow batteries for electric vehicles & load leveling. June 1982 – September 1984.
Kingman E. Yee. “Galvanic Corrosion”. Chapter 38 of Handbook of Bolts and Joints. J. Bickford and S. A. Nassar, editors. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1998.
Kingman E. Yee. “Electrochemical Aspects of the Automobile.” Presented at the 21st Century Automotive Seminar Series at GMI Engineering and Management Institute, Flint, MI; May 8, 1997.
Lucy Siu-Bik King and Kingman E. Yee. “Kinematics and Grasp Analysis for Automatic Fixturing Assembly.” Presented at the International Conference on Manufacturing Automation, University of Hong Kong, August 10-12, 1992.
J. Jorne, C-P. Chen, M. G. Lee and K. E. Yee. “Stationary Patterns During Electrodeposition in Flow Systems.” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Paper 93c, Los Angeles, CA, November 17-22, 1991.
Kingman E. Yee and Jacob Jorné. “Striated Zinc Electrodeposition at Rotating Disk and Hemisphere Electrodes.” J. Electrochem. Soc., 137(8), pp. 2403-2410 (1990).
Jacob Jorné, Yeong-Jyh Lii and Kingman E. Yee. “Suppression of Dendrites and Roughness During Electrodeposition by Impinging Flow.” J. Electrochem. Soc., 134(6), pp. 1399-1402 (1987).
Kingman E. Yee and Jacob Jorné. “Striated Zinc Electrodeposition on Rotating Disk and Hemisphere Electrodes.” Presented at the164th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Abstract 27, Vol. 83-2, Washington, D.C., October 9-14, 1983.
Kingman E. Yee. “3T (Thick-Thick-Thin) Resistance Spot Weld Study.” Chrysler LLC, August 21, 2008 (22 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “A Study of Resistance Spot Weld Microstructures in AHSS: Their Relationship to Weld Parameters and Their Effect on Joint Strength. Part 1. 2T Stack Ups.” Chrysler LLC, August 12, 2008 (46 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Failure of Resistance Spot Welds on Advanced High Strength Steels.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., June 4, 2007 (25 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Durability Study of Two Low-voltage Electric Clamps.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., January 3, 2007 (21 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Durability Study of Low-voltage Electric Clamps.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., April 11, 2006 (8 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “A Study of the Cracks on the J-Hooks (Engine Lift Operation) at Brampton Assembly Plant.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., July 19, 2005 (5 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Analysis of Bolt Failure on the Trim Box Transfer Fork Assembly at Warren Truck Assembly Plant.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., August 16, 2004 (33 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Updated Air Consumption Study at General Motors’ Pontiac Plant 25 with PIAB Vacuum System.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., March 23, 2007 (12 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Air Consumption Study at General Motors’ Pontiac Plant 25 with PIAB Vacuum System.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., March 23, 2007 (12 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Advantages of PIAB’s Vacuum Technology.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., October 1, 2004 (6 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “A Comparison of Vacuum Generators for Suction Cup Applications at Sterling Stamping.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., February 27, 2004 (4 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “A Study of the New Low-profile PIAB Vacuum-generating Unit for Use in Warren Stamping.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., February 20, 2004 (3 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Comparison Between the Currently-used ISI and the Innovative Multi-stage PAIB Vacuum Systems, Part 2.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., January 12, 2004 (4 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Feasibility Study of the Use of Low-voltage Electric Clamps in an Assembly Tooling Environment.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., August 22, 2003 (2 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “Comparison Between the Currently used ISI and the Innovative Multi-stage PAIB Vacuum Systems.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., August 20, 2003 (4 pages).
Kingman E. Yee. “The Effect of Conveyor Chain Variation on Film Build Variability.” DaimlerChrysler Corp., August 2003 (14 pages).
Sayed A. Nassar and Kingman E. Yee. “Creep and Corrosion Testing of Riveted Joints in Aluminum Intensive Vehicles.” Internal report for Ford Motor Company, Detroit, MI. March 24, 1997.
Lucy Siu-Bik King, Kingman E. Yee, B. S. Lim, W. Lin and M. Ng. “Feasibility Study of Methods of Retaining Lip Formation on Punches.” Internal technical report at GINTIC Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, September 15-27, 1996.
Lucy Siu-Bik King and Kingman E. Yee. “Grinding and Finishing of an Aerospace Turbine Vane.” Internal technical report at GINTIC Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, August 2-18, 1995. [Proprietary information.]
Faculty Advisor for directed study projects at Lawrence Technological University:
“Plastic Cotton Ball Manufacturing Process” John M. Iaffaldano, July 22, 1991.
Faculty Advisor for capstone senior design projects at Lawrence Technological University:
“Hydraulic Press for Preparing Solid Wafer Samples for Infrared Analysis.” (#212) Stephen F. Nuquist, February 19, 1990.
“A Proposal to Develop and Test the Coated Cotton Ball Prototype.” (#239), Greg Berish, Gayle Gamrat, Al Hassan, John Iaffaldano, Steve Kizy, Debra Sprague, January 21, 1991.
“Development of Forging Standards for Thick-Walled Tubing” (#229), Philip A. Luedtke, Craig S. MacBrien, Paul L. Nick, Alan J. Skiba, May 2, 1991
“1991 Formula SAE Brake System” (#194-91) Dan Mitchell, Ken Riepen, May 1991.
“1992 Formula SAE Semi-Monocoque Frame” (194-92-1) Tom Czapski, Steve Gamache, Lawrence Linneburg, David Reid, John Rossit, July 15, 1991.
“Fish Aquarium Gravel Cleaning System” (364), Tony D’Angela, Roger Zeoli, Tim Leahy, Rich Kovarik. July 15, 1994.
“Development of Convection Oven Experiment” (488-98) Carol Majewski, Paul Moote, Steve Balogh, April 16, 1997.
“Panel Compensator: (A modular unit that re-orientates a sheet metal stamping in an A- or B-size transfer press.)” (#502-99) Scott Swartzinski, Glenn Obsniuk, Mark Jenuwine, Christopher Eilola, 1998-1999.
“Barton Malow Model Wind Tunnel Upgrade.” (#508-99B), Jennifer Dahl, Todd Gable, Fred McIntosh, Kevin Rockwell, Bryan Underwood, Mike Wells, July 20, 1999.
“Hydraulic Fatigue Station for Fatigue-testing of Automotive Seats.” Ken Jenkins, Dennis Mickevicius, David Schacht, Nicholas Bee, Patrick Fsadni, Sept. 2000.
“Design and Build Creep Testing Machine.” (#538-01B) Robin Duncan, Mauricio Mosquera, Harry Kosmala III, July 30, 2001.
“Minivan Bench Seat Removal Device.” (#534-01B) Joe Aiuto, Kevin Foldvary, Alan Mackey, Sara Maurer, Dennis Witalec, December 10, 2001.
“Lug Nut Tool.” (#579-03B) Deanna Thiesmeyer, Celeste Trinidad, Elijah Canfield, Tiffany Atchison, 2003.
“Gas Powered RC Car.” (#614-05B) Jeremy Crockett, Derrik Fair, Andrej Ziarnowski, July 26, 2005.
“Air Induction System (with reduced noise level).” Mira Matejin, July 26, 2005.
“Sliding Truck Bed.” (#616-05B) Angela Bianculli, Joseph Zatyko, Andrew York. December 2005.
“Fuel Tank Strap Assembly Machine.” Theresa McIntyre, Ashly Jordan. December 2005.
“Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC Hydrogen fuel powered Robot)”: (#605) Brett Richardson, Bill Gale, Dave Daraskavich, May 4, 2006.
“Front and Rear End Truck (bumpers to provide vehicle) Protection and Recovery (Equipment)”: (#405) Randy Burda, Jason Altenburg, Selena Mastin, May 5, 2006.
“Stow-Away Tailgate Chair.” Fadi Abro, Jennifer Baumann, December 2006.
“Automatic Emergency Road-side Car Jack.” Vince Bommarito, Robert Wood, JoeDon Breda, Aaron Charland. 2007-2008.
“1978 Chevy Nova Drag Car.” Andrew Monticello, Ryan Lehtonen, Scott Wilson, Sean White, Tony Flanagan, Trevor Ferry. 2008 – 2009.
“Wheelchair Friendly Workout”: A platform that will correctly and safely position a wheelchair-bound user in order to use a chest fly and deltoid machine in a gym. Jennifer Guthrie, Tyson DeLandsheer, Julie Gorczycki, Yvonne Scheckell. 2009 - 2010.
“Quest Final Project” presentation on an application of cellulose for a toothbrush cover; title and work were proprietary. Erik DeVito and Joshua Wells (BME students). Yawen Li (BME advisor), Karen Evans (Quest Director), Shannon Timmons (Chemistry advisor), Daniel Boorstein (industrial advisor), Kingman Yee (external evaluator). Nov. 2, 2010.
Committee Member for Graduate Dissertations or Theses:
Doctor of Engineering in Manufacturing Systems (DEMS):
- Susan Okray Munro. “Laser Weld Bonding of Aluminum Alloy 6013-T6.” (2006-2008).
- Ali Jammoul. “Cost Reduction and Quality Improvement, Through Innovative Steering Gear Yoke Setting Process.” (2007- 2009).
- Raed El-Khalil. “Optimization of Flexible Body Shop System.” (2007-2009).
- Michael W. Pape. “Engineering Die Structures for Stamping Advanced High Strength Steel Parts.” (2008-2009).
- Michael A. Savasky, “Performance-Based Methodology for Costing Annulus Gear Manufacturing Systems.” (2009 - ).
- Walter Schwartz, “Shock Wave Induced Spraying for Stainless Steel Coating Applied to an Aluminum Substrate Brake Rotor.” (2009- )
- Dan Tesolin, “Throughput Optimization of a Multi-Station, Parallel Machines Robotic Production Cell for the Manufacture of Automotive Interior Trim Cover Material.” (2009- )
- Duane A. Shortt, P.E. “Simulation Based Cost Reduction Approach for a Multi-Part Manufacturing System.” (2009 - 2010)
- Annamalai Pandian, “Robotic Manufacturing System Failure Prediction Methodology Design Development Algorithm of an Automotive Assembly.” (2009 - )
- Gary T. Kraus, Jr., “Paint Bank Sequence Optimization on Assembly in an Automotive Manufacturing Plant.” (2009 - 2010)
- Adel Khanfar, “Efficiency Analysis of an Automotive Axle.” (2010)
- Joseph Mbadiwe Ogundu, “Developing the Direct Relationships between Waste Reduction/Elimination and Operating Performance Measures.” (2010)
- Mehdi M. Ghatus, “Characterization of Fiber Reinforced Radiator Hose Performance.” (2010-)
- Unsung Hero Award from the Association of Chinese Americans [Detroit Chapter of the Organization of Chinese Americans] (October 4, 2008).
- SAE Distinguished Faculty Advisor Award (1992, 1999, 2000, 2006).
- Unsung Hero Award, awarded by the Coalition of Chinese Organizations (Nov. 2001).
- Distinguished Teaching Performance Award, 1989-90, awarded by the College of Engineering, Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI (October 9, 1990).
- Excellence in Teaching Award (Wayne State University, College of Engineering, 1981).
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant Award (Wayne State University, College of Engineering, 1980).
Introduction to Engineering
Engineering Materials Lab
Mechanics of Materials
Mechanics of Materials Laboratory
Alternative Energy Fundamentals
Engineering Cost Analysis
Thermal Science Laboratory
Advanced Engineering Materials & Selection
Design of Machine Elements
Engineering Quality Control
Mechanical Engineering Projects